Saturday, November 12, 2011

Mist Made Excerpts

 Okay everyone, I'm a little bit behind on NaNo, and I'm procrastinating by giving you excerpts.  Here you are!
  
“And you, Sparrow,” he turned to me and I looked away. Why did all the Mist People have terrifying eyes? “How much do you know?”
The guard took his hand away from my mouth so I could speak. “Nothing.”
“You lie.”
“So what if I do?”
“It is wrong to lie to the king of the Mist Realms,” he said in a sneering tone of voice as if I didn't know that lying was wrong. “You will suffer the same fate of Afon if you do not tell us what you know.”
“I don’t know anything!” I snapped as the guard let me go. The room started to feel more stuffy, and I started hyperventilating. Now was the perfect time to have a fit of claustrophobia.
“But you do,” he said. He came forward and grabbed my arm. He twisted it and I felt a searing pain. I yelled. “This thing,” he pointed to my tattoo, “can read your thoughts for us. We know your location, what you are thinking, what you are doing.”


And one more, because I know you're all dying to read more now. Just kidding about the dying part, I wouldn't want to kill any of my readers. (By the way, she has amnesia in the following excerpt if that will help.)


 “Her service?” I asked.
“I’m her apprentice, sort of. I’m learning to work under the king…I want to be his main architect someday. She’s my only chance. She threatened to let me go if I didn’t start doing things right. You’re not the first thing to go wrong…” He sat down on his bed and started twirling a stone ring on his right middle finger.
“Where’d you get that?”
“Dad gave it to me.”
“Will I ever get to meet your dad?” I continued standing.
“No.”
“Why not?”
“He’s…dead.” I thought I saw a tear fall onto the dark piece of stone.
“Oh…” Talk about an awkward turtle. “I’m sorry.”
“Don’t be, it’s not your fault,” he looked at me, looked me in the eyes, and I didn’t look away, even though there were tear streaks on his face. I felt like I knew some similar pain, I had lost a family member too, perhaps. He knew who, too. I could feel it.
“I…I know how you feel,” I said.
“I know.” Afon looked away.
“Tell me why?”
“You…you lost a sister, a younger sister. I’m not supposed to tell you that. Please don’t tell Marija.”
“I won’t.” A sudden idea struck me. “Did…did Marija wipe my mind?”
“She helped.”
A chewed my lip for a minute. “Did you help?”
He sat silent for a moment. “Yes,” he whispered hoarsely, as if he was afraid I wouldn’t like him if he told the truth.


To be honest, that's probably my most favorite part in the whole book.  


~Charlotte Grace, the Mind Traveler

No comments: