Thursday, August 18, 2011

Interesting Times by Terry Pratchett (first book review)

Image Source
 So, for my first book review, I'm doing the book I finished today: Interesting Times by Terry Pratchett.
This was my first Discworld novel.  Love.  It.
If someone forced me to describe it in one word, it would be, "HILARIOUS!"

Now, I was going to do about ten quotes from the book (because they are so funny) but Mom was in the car waiting for me to finish the last page so that we could return it to the library, so I couldn't.  I was quite unhappy when I realized it on the way back and couldn't think of anything but, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" for the rest of the half-mile home.
Anyway, the plot line is something like this:  Rincewind "volunteers" to go to the Counterweight Continent when a letter is sent to Unseen University asking for the, "Great Wizard."  Rincewind ends up finding is oldest friend (95 years of age), Cohen, and his band of senile barbarians, the Silver Horde.  The Horde is planning to attack the capital and kill the emperor.  ~Fast forward~ Rincewind somehow manages to find the "Red Army" (an army of children wanting to rebel against the empire and, as he tries to convince them it's NOT a good idea, Cohen takes over the Forbidden City.  ~Fast forward~ the Silver Horde faces five armies and Rincewind is underground discovering the real Red Army.

Yes, that was a pathetic Synopsis.  I'm terrible at those.

My favorite thing things about this book is are:
Rincewind.  I can relate to him, even though I can't, if that makes any sense.  He is insanely funny and fun to read about.
The epic humor.  Think of a scholar trying to teach barbarians civilization, a "wizzard" who isn't really a wizard, and the gods playing board games all in one book, and you have Interesting Times and a couple of laughs on all 200+ pages.

It's very interesting.  Read it.  5/5 stars.  I haven't read anything this good in a while.

~Charlotte Grace, the Mind Traveler

No comments: